What do I do when I am driving my vehicle and emergency vehicles are responding to a call?2019-11-06T17:02:56-08:00

If you are at an intersection:

  • Don’t Panic
  • Don’t pull into the intersection on a red light
  • Don’t stop in the middle of the intersection. Stop at the limit line or the crosswalk on a red light at the intersection.
  • Yield the right-of-way when able to safely do so. That may mean moving through the intersection first on a green light and then pulling over to the right as soon as possible.
  • WAIT for all emergency vehicles to pass before getting back on the road. Remember there may be more than one emergency vehicle on the way.

If you are on a street:

  • Don’t Panic
  • Don’t stop in the middle of the road
  • Pull over to the right when safely able to do so.

If you are on the freeway:

  • Don’t Panic
  • Don’t stop on the freeway
  • Don’t pull over to the left shoulder unless instructed to do so
  • Pull over to the right when safely able to do so
  • Continue to move forward at a safe speed
Why do so many fire apparatus respond to incidents?2019-10-29T13:42:49-07:00

Fire resources are dispatched according to information received by the 9-1-1 Emergency Command Center (ECC) operator who will ask the caller questions to gauge the level of resources needed. Aided by a computer program, the ECC operator selects the closest available unit(s) to respond to an incident. Resources are generally sent on a worst case scenario, meaning that during fire season they will dispatch several fire engines, water tenders (tankers) and air support to a fire. Then when it is determined that the first resources on scene can handle it, others are canceled. This assures that there are enough initial resources on scene as quickly as possible should an incident be found to be severe.

Why does a fire engine respond to a medical emergency?2019-10-29T13:41:15-07:00

Because firefighters on the engine can usually get to an emergency quicker than an ambulance, and time is critical in a medical emergency. All of Higgins’ firefighters are highly trained for medical emergencies. The first ten minutes are critical for someone who has experienced a heart attack, stroke, injury or other life-threatening trauma. The heart and brain have a better chance of full recovery if immediate medical aid is given. Firefighters can use life-saving techniques to help prevent death or permanent injury before the ambulance arrives and then can assist the Paramedics on the ambulance.

How can I join the Higgins Fire Auxiliary?2019-10-29T13:40:23-07:00

The Auxiliary’s regular meetings are held at the Higgins Lyons Club hall, 22490 East Hacienda Dr., 11:30am on the 2nd Tuesday of March, September and December. Dues are $10/year.

Just come to a meeting and sign up or send your dues, with a note saying “sign me up”, to Higgins Fire Auxiliary, 10106 Combie Rd., Auburn, CA 95602.

How can I become a Paid Call Firefighter?2019-10-29T13:39:20-07:00

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer Firefighter for Higgins Fire District, please come in to Station 21 on Combie Rd. and pick up an application. You must be 18 years old to apply and live within the District.

Call Station 21 at 269-2488 with any questions or to make an appointment with Battalion Chief Jerry Good to discuss further qualifications and for an explanation of the process.

During a major incident, how do I find out more information?2019-10-29T13:37:02-07:00

When there is a fire in the area, the Higgins’ stations received dozens of calls. Unfortunately, if you call the outlying stations, they may be out responding to the fire. The staff at the HQ Station 21 will usually only have general information. If you want more information or to keep informed, the local radio stations, KNCO News Talk AM 830 and KVMR Community Radio 89.5 FM do a great job of keeping locals informed of breaking news.

YubaNET.com and various local Facebook groups also are great resources.

Where can I get a house number sign? And why do I need to have one?2019-10-29T13:31:16-07:00

You need to post your house number so we can find you in an emergency. The more help we have locating you, the faster we can come to your aid. House numbers should be a minimum of 4″ in height and should be reflective. Make sure your house numbers are more than visible from the road, make sure they are obvious. Placing them on the road next to the entrance to your driveway is best. The Higgins Fire Auxiliary sells house number signs. House sign only is $40, house sign with post and hardware is $44. All orders must be prepaid. Sign orders are batched to send to the manufacturer so your sign may take 8 to 10 weeks to arrive. Order forms are available at Station 21 on Combie Rd. or you can call 269-2488 and we will mail one to you.

How do I get a burn permit?2019-10-29T13:28:55-07:00

Burn permits are required from May 1st until fire season is called or until July 1st, whichever comes first. You can pick up a burn permit at any of our three fire stations. You must be burning at your residence for the residential burn permit. We will have you fill out the permit and go over the rules and requirements. See the Burn Permit tab under Prevention for more information.

Where can I go to get sand bags?2019-10-29T13:28:14-07:00

Higgins Fire District, Station 21 at 10106 Combie Rd., has sand and sandbags. It’s best to bring your own shovel to fill the bags. Please call ahead (269-2488) to make sure there are enough supplies on hand.

Who decides whether or not it’s a burn day?2019-10-29T13:29:29-07:00

The Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District makes the decision, each day, whether or not it is a burn day. Occasionally CalFire may call a “no burn” day due to unfavorable conditions. To find out if it is a Burn Day in south county, call 268-1023


Go to Top